Pages

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Our room... how to create a similar style!

Good evening readers =) I finally get to show you our bedroom tonight and how I managed to decorate it without spending a fortune! Half of our bedroom decor I created myself out of items and supplies that we had around our home/storage and also with a little help from a handy man!
 
*note: I can't paint here but if I could, the walls would of been either a warm burnt honey or a cool gray.
 
So here is one side of our room. Growing up I always had real bright and vibrant colors such as orange for my bedroom. Now that I'm about to be married and am sharing the room with my partner, I compromised ;)
The room is blue, purple and brown. Calm colors that help you get in a relaxed state of mind before you go to bed. I went with an antique style mixed with modern which was popular much of 2012. Popular or not, I don't even care I love it and its staying for awhile ha ha.
 
 
We will start with the night stands:
 
 
When we got our first place (before this one) we didn't have any night stands. I had someone I know make us just these very simple solid wood stands. I told our handy man to stain the stands to resemble espresso and to leave a space open large enough for a bin to use just like a drawer. I went to Target and purchased these wicker bins on sale =)
The purple candle holder casts cool shadows around the room at night and is perfect for the bedroom! You can find it at HomeGoods. Target sometimes sells similar candle holders down their candle isle.
The two frames were also do-it-yourselfers! I created a blog in the past about how to decorate your own frames. I bought a bunch of wooden frames at the thrift store, took them home and painted them. I went to our local craft store and bought scrapbook paper with the same patterns that I wanted for our bedroom and placed them in the frames. BOOM! It added a really cool touch to the room for dirt cheap =)
 
 
 
This night stand has a set of organizers on it. I got these from one of my favorite stores called Kirkland's. This is thee go-to store for all your home decorating needs. I LOVE IT! If you haven't been there, CLICK HERE and check out their website. These organizers were about 5 bucks and added an old charm to the room!
 
One of my favorite walls in our room:
 
Notice the small purple antique frame on top and the oval frame in the background? Both were from a thrift store. I thought they would look awesome with a funky, vibrant color to add that modern/antique feel to the room. The crystal looking candle holder was one of my favorite finds at one of my favorite stores called HomeGoods. If you have never been there, you should go! Check out their website: CLICK HERE
The two big pictures were on sale from HomeGoods. We had someone make the corner shelves for the room and put candles on each.
 
Back to the main photo:
I love the crystallized accent we put above our bed. This was purchased at Kirkland's for very little! The other side of our room also has a HUGE floor mirror we had put together and stained! it was made out of scrap wood and a mirror from storage! Buy them brand new in the store and find yourself spending two or three hundred. What got cut off in this photo was a cute foot stool at the end of the bed that was from Target.
 Although I'm not 100% sure how much it cost in total to decorate, It was definitely no more than about $150 when all was said and done. You can't beat that! My future plans are just to make our own headboard! To my surprise a few of my Facebook friends made their own and posted about it so I know if they can do it, so can I =) I'm excited to do that hopefully this summer! Stay tuned =)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment