Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What to watch out for when buying shampoo

When I was younger I never put much thought (or care) into what chemicals are in the products I use or the food that I eat. Well today I'm here to point out 5 toxic ingredients which are put in common shampoo's that you should be aware of. Now, I personally wouldn't go toss out your bottle sitting in the shower, but just make a mental note of some things the next time you find yourself buying shampoo. Over time, these chemicals can pose a threat to your health. I seen this on my local news a few months ago and sure enough when I showered that night, I caught myself glancing at the back of my Herbal Essences shampoo bottle.
 
 
 
Methylisothiazoline- This may be found in leading brands such as Pantene, Suave, Clairol, and Head and Shoulders. It can put an unborn baby at risk for brain damage. It can also cause neurological disorders.
 
Parabens- This is a preservative which helps stop the growth of bacteria. Unfortunately, it has been linked to raising estrogen levels which in return can help create hormonal disorders and cancer.
 
Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate- This is found in almost every leading brand of body wash and shampoo. It can be abrasive to your hair and skin. This is unfortunate because SLS is what helps create suds the way you would expect them to form. It can also lead to thinning hair due to its acidic nature.
 
Formaldehyde- This ingredient can cause damage to the nervous system as well as allergic reactions. It may be listed as quarternium-15, doazolidinyl urea, and imidazolidinyl urea.
 
Phthalates- While its added to body wash and shampoo to help give them scent, it might be linked to reproductive and hormonal issues. Often these problems effect children.
 
 For more info on these ingredients, click here.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment