Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Girls Guide

 
I'm a bit of a unique soul, haha. I literally can go from being a tom boy with a baseball cap sitting at the races to sporting a Slipknot shirt ready to go to a concert and yet here i am blogging about my version of a girls guide to putting together an outfit. I worked at Banana Republic fresh out of school as well as worked for the outlet mall. I also have a passion for photography so I'm all about being creative.
I'm going to take you back a moment to the good old days. I remember being in middle school and going through my closet in the morning before class started. I thought if tops and bottoms were the same color, they matched. I also thought it was a good idea to just throw on all of my favorite items. I'm talking like my best dress top with my favorite pair of ripped jeans and sneakers... yeaaah, haha. I remember asking my best friend at the time what she thought of my outfit that day. I was a little self conscious because i hadn't done laundry and it was one of my only clean outfits until i finished my clothes when i got home. It was a cobalt blue top that shined hot pink when you glanced at it from different angles. Very sparkly! my pants were navy colored baggy corduroys. Carpenter style. I told her to rate the outfit a 1, 2, or 3. One meaning it looked good and 3 meaning it was terrible. She said it was a 2. lair, haha ;) but then again, most everyone dressed funny at some point in middle school. Back when i was in Jr high huge flares (jncos) and tall shoes (the kind with huge, chunky heels) were in, haha. Yes, i was a 90's child.
Below is a list of real basic pointers when putting together an outfit:
 
     1. If you have a really busy pattern on your top, keep your pants simple. The same rule goes for your pants.
 
     2. If you have a more simple dress, pants, or top on, you can get a little crazy with accessories.
 
     3. Stock up on solid colored cami's. You can use them under almost anything! Make sure you have black, white, and grey.
 
     4. Have a variety of jeans... boot cut, flares, skinnys, jeggings, etc.
 
     5. Number five really has nothing to do with making sure an outfit looks good but trust me when i say almost anything from this store WILL look good on you. Every woman must have something from Victoria's Secret. PERIOD. Anyways...
   
     6. Have a variety of shoes. sneakers, winter boots, black dress shoes, light colored dress shoes, etc. Carry both heels and flats. Try to avoid chunky heels if at all possible. The more slim and slender the heel, the more slim and slender your legs will appear.
 
     7. Own a variety of dress clothes. Even if you rarely have an event to attend that requires you to dress up. Have a day of the week where you just dress up for the heck of it! Who cares what other people think?! Own a dress, a pair of dress pants, a few every day skirts and at least one dressy skirt. I rock blazers every once in awhile just for fun.
 
    8. If you are wearing a baggy top, avoid baggy bottoms. The same goes for bottoms. You will lose your body shape underneath your clothes if you don't follow this rule.
 
    9. There are more "rules" but those are the most basic and ill have plenty of time in the future to cover more.
 
Right now I'm a huge fan of leggings and skirts. My outfit in yesterdays blog was a pair of dark blue floral leggings with a more plain dark blue cami and dark blue button up shirt. By having my tops more simple, it let my leggings make the statement. You will understand what i mean if you glance back at yesterdays blog.
 
 
The Buckle is usually a great store to put together an outfit. It helps that they have a ton of manikins to give you a visual. Here is a current outfit sold at the buckle for the fall/winter of 2012:
Notice the button up top is simple and so are the jeans and boots, however, the undershirts have a design. that's where the attention is drawn. It's definitely not a boring outfit, it has a lot of personality but isn't overwhelming.
 
Remember, fashion is a way to express yourself and who you are. You can find a way to do this on almost any budget. Appreciate everyones creativity and don't be afraid to try your own style even if it means bending one of the guidelines above! Rules are sometimes meant to be broken, right? ;)
     
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment