Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A fun DIY to spice up your home!

 
Hello everyone! I was a little bit excited to do this blog today because i get to show everyone what I've been doing since last spring. I have been repainting old frames and using them for decor in our home! I got the idea off of the internet last winter when i was eyeballing some photography images and come to find out, a couple of my friends were doing the same thing. Its pretty simple and it can be a fun, inexpensive way to help change the look of a room!
Here is a picture similar to the one i found on the internet last winter:
 

Looks pretty cool right?
One more...
 
I love antique and modern combined!
 
I found my frames at garage sales and thrift stores. Joann Fabric had all of the supplies that i needed but feel free to shop elsewhere.
 
 
Depending on what exactly you would like to do with your frames, the supplies you need are a frame to work with, a cloth to wipe away any dust or spills, a cup to dip your brush clean in, a plate/bowl to put your paint on, a paint formulated for the type of surface you're painting (spray paint, wall paint, or acrylic should do), sandpaper and paint brushes. If you want to decorate around your photo, you can use scrapbook paper. This also requires scissors and glue. 
Sand down your frames if need be before you begin. Once you are ready, go crazy and paint it however you wish! I usually needed at least two coats of paint.  It should only take about 30 minutes for the paint to dry. Once that is completed, you can choose a photo to put inside of it or you can fill the frame with scrapbook paper for a neat design. The choice is yours! I experimented with crackle paint to give the frame an aged look, but ill save that for a future blog =)
Now, here is a peek at our home:
 
 
This is our stairwell in the center of our home. It has a light on the wall, but I put a lamp with a low watt bulb to give a soft glow near the photos. *NOTE: Three of the frames hanging i did not repaint. I don't want to take credit for some of Kohl's items... Anyways, since this is the middle of our house, i stuck with cream, brown, and black so it would blend with the other rooms in our home.
 

 
The photo above is a picture of my photo-wall from a different angle. Its a work in progress. Below is a close up. Ill take credit for everything but the frame with writing. You can, however, easily paint your own frame like that =)
 
 
I decorated/painted the middle two shown here:
 
 
 
 
 For a detailed description on how to repaint your old frames, click here! Also, feel free to look up other ways to repaint frames. There are all kinds of ideas out there so knock yourself out! (Not literally)

No comments:

Post a Comment