Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Vegan Bean Burgers

I was watching The Ellen Show yesterday afternoon and watched a clip on a vegan chef. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian but I have been thinking about what I eat more and what is healthy. I have started to make a switch to organic foods and incorporating more fruits, veggies, whole grains and water into my daily diet. I always thought non-meat burgers were so disgusting but I decided to give them another try. I found out, after trying them for the second time, that I love bean burgers! They are so good, a lot healthier, and are a fraction of the calories in a real burger.
I thought I would share this bean burger recipe that I used and maybe you will discover you enjoy it too!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cooked black beans
  • 1 Tbsp cooking oil
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 large stalk celery, chopped fine
  • 2 - 4 cloves garlic minced (depends how much you like garlic)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup hummus
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce or Braggs Liquid Aminos
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 2 slices dry whole wheat bread crumbled into tiny pieces (hint: blender or food processor works great

Directions:

     
  1. Heat oil in a frying pan on medium low
  2. Sauté garlic & onion in oil until soft
  3. Add the celery & pepper, fry until softened
  4. Mix in the herbs & spices and heat through
  5. Mash or puree half the beans
  6. Add reserved beans and all other ingredients EXCEPT hummus and liquid seasoning
  7. Mix well by hand
  8. Food Processor: process 1/2 the beans with all other ingredients except hummus and liquid seasoning, then mix in the remaining whole beans
  9. Add enough of the hummus or liquid seasoning to moisten mixture fairly well
  10. Mixture may seem a little sticky, but it's better than a bit dry, because they WILL dry out while cooking
  11. Form 10 flat patties and cook on medium until brown, approx. 10 min per side
  12. Fantastic with a little brown mustard, horseradish and sweet pickl

No comments:

Post a Comment